Holy Crap, I Got Freshly Pressed…

10 Feb

FPSSWow. I’m blown away by the response to White Mom Blog. I started this project a month ago and didn’t know what Freshly Pressed was. Now, thanks to Freshly Pressed, I have a larger base of readers that I am excited/nervous/thrilled about. Thank you and welcome!

I started the blog for several reasons. The first is that I have been thinking about issues involving race and whiteness for years now. I’ve written several papers for graduate school and researched as much as I can on whiteness and white privilege (just a heads up–there’s not much out there). I wanted a base for the questions I was asking myself. The second is the added complexity from the birth of my daughter last September. No one could have prepared me for how much questioning and reexamining I would be doing as a new mom.

So many articles, websites and mommy blogs don’t resonate with me–the Photoshopped pictures, red lipstick and vintage matching outfits feel so foreign and unrealistic. The formula is the same for many sites: a white mom (although race is never mentioned) writes about her life, she has several kids, uses lots of colorful photos, and employs a mix of humor or sarcasm to finish it off. I read and ask myself, “Is this what I’m supposed to be?”

People have commented that I seem narrowly focused on race. I can understand why they feel that way. However, there are so many different ‘isms’ that intersect in our lives that we really can’t talk about one without the other. Racism, sexism, ageism, gender discrimination, poverty–these are all topics that will be explored here. But I’ll do that with a lens of self-reflection as a white woman trying to raise her child to be social justice-minded in an increasingly segregated city.

10 Responses to “Holy Crap, I Got Freshly Pressed…”

1. notmyidealife February 10, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

How is your city segregated? I work at a very biased job. I am the token ‘race’ to meet the quota. I find notion for white supremacy in my work. How is it for you?

2. ianamclennan February 10, 2013 at 11:04 pm #

Congrats on being freshly pressed. It’s a topic that needs to be discussed. Kudos for taking up the challenge.

3. Margaret February 11, 2013 at 5:43 am #

Congratulations! I’ve been following your blog since it started, and i really enjoy reading it.

4. travels with mary February 11, 2013 at 6:17 am #

I so feel you on the Photoshopped mommy-bloggers and wondering how I’d ever have time to lug out my DLSR and take photos of my life while actually paying attention to the important things? I don’t think I could sacrifice the kind of time (and I wouldn’t want to) to be one of those type of bloggers. I love the idea of focusing on a particular topic, and race is so relevant and important of a discussion!

• White Mom February 12, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

No kidding. I’m always amazed by the pictures and the time to upload, enhanced, crop etc. My daughter is 5 months old and I barely have time to get posts going or read over articles! Glad you’re here!

5. kchapmangibbons February 11, 2013 at 8:05 am #

Congratulations on the visibility and thanks so much for tackling this perspective. Race with a critical “white” perspective is not written/spoken about nearly enough. As long as “whiteness” is invisible–it remains the norm for a lot of white people. Thanks and bon chance!!

6. pretzl44 February 11, 2013 at 10:10 am #

“Increasingly Segregated” is a trap and it is actually not true. It may seem like that (for a number of reasons, one of which is white political representation) but it is a hugely complicated issue that has no singular cause, answer or descriptor. A vast majority of blacks in Seattle moved here during WWII to work for Boeing and were forced to live in the CD – nothing gets more segregated than people being forced to live somewhere, it only gets less so. There are many, many more people of color in north Seattle than there were just 20 years ago and south Seattle holds the most diverse zip code in America (‘118 yo!), so while we “gentrify” (“” because I hate that word and am not totally accurately using it) poor areas, in Seattle (and other U.S. cities) $$ is trumping ethnicity as a divider. Neighborhoods that were more affordable are now more expensive, and based on socioeconomic reasons now have more white people than before, but that is a reflection of $ more than color (though a reverse exploration of why white people here have more $$ or choose urban density over the suburb cities is an overlapping and huge topic to itself that goes right back to white privilege and education) right? Two new developments are being approved at the corner of 23rd & Union for 4 & 6 story mixed use buildings….it will get whiter there…but is that a race issue? Is it categorically bad for people to be able to choose to live there when 50 years ago they couldn’t make that choice?

Also, check out Quintard Taylor if you can, here is a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx7j-jh-KQw

7. anbrooks2013 February 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Don’t listen to the naysayers I think what you are doing is great. But if you like critism. You can always improve!

8. demogirl06 February 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Kick ass, Buff!

9. hillarycartigan February 27, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

After much thought and some false starts, I put together a post inspired by (and linked to) the conversation you are hosting on WMB. Thank you, Buffy!